Sunday, September 5, 2010

D-Chiro-Inositol for PCOS

When I started looking for remedies to help with PCOS, I found ads for a huge variety of supplements. Anyone that knows me knows that I am highly skeptical of any type of supplement. Supplements are pretty much unregulated so anyone can put pretty much anything in a tablet or capsule and sell it. Sometimes this is a recipe for disaster and sometimes there is a legitimate supplement that is safe and effective. It has taken multiple people and a really darn good sale for me to even take a daily multivitamin. My opinion of multivitamins are that they make for very expensive pee because a lot of the vitamins and minerals are not absorbed and/or excreted out.

It isn't that I don't trust people out to make a buck by selling me pills, but really who am I kidding, I'm a total skeptic. Still I thought I would give looking into it a shot. My qualification for swallowing a pill is that it better be backed up with somewhat decent research. The one thing that I found was d-chiro-inositol. Inositol is vitamin B8 which your body makes naturally. D-chiro-inositol is a specific isomer of this vitamin. They sometimes use it in hospitals for newborns with acute respiratory distress syndrome so I'm thinking that it probably fairly safe.

Here is a link to a cute little video on YouTube about how it works for people with PCOS:

D-chiro-inositol

I've been taking this supplement for a little over 2 weeks.  Not surprisingly, I haven't had to take my inhaler once since I've started taking it.  Like I said, it is used to treat breathing issues in newborns. The research shows that it helps to lower blood pressure and testosterone levels in women with PCOS. Also, it can treat failure to ovulate in women with PCOS. It takes about 6-8 weeks to be fully effective so we'll see how it goes over the next several weeks. 

1 comment:

  1. COOL! I will mention this to my Dr. today and see what she says....

    ReplyDelete