Saturday, September 4, 2010

More Water

I don't know how many times I've heard (or even said as a coach) that drinking enough water is vital to weight loss and athletic performance. When you are dehydrated, your body retains water which shows up on the scale as weight. The good news about that is the weight you are gaining isn't really fat. The bad news is that it is common to confuse thirst with hunger. I sometimes end up eating when I think I should be drinking more water. Also, workouts suffer due to even slight dehydration. When you get thirsty, you are already about 5% dehydrated and your performance is already starting to decline. Without water, your body isn't as effective. 

The problem is that I've never been very good at keeping hydrated. Over the past few of days, I've been really making an effort to drink more water and I've noticed such a difference. Instead of going up and down by a couple of pounds every day, my weight has been quite steady over the days that I've been making an effort to be hydrated. If I can make this a solid habit, I know that I'll be one step closer to my goal of being healthier. Besides, where am I going to come up with all the urine to do the ovulation predictor kits?

1 comment:

  1. For me, I discovered if I have a cute or fun cup to carry around all day, I drink more. I bought one that looks like a Starbucks cold cup with a pink band and straw.....Love it!

    ReplyDelete